Detsky Mir Group announces unaudited financial results for 3rd quarter & 9 months 2017
30 October 2017. Moscow, Russia. – Detsky Mir Group ("Detsky Mir", "the Group" or "the Company") (MOEX: DSKY), Russia’s largest specialized children's goods retailer, announces its unaudited financial results in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) for the third quarter and nine months ended 30 September 2017.
3Q 2017 FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Group unaudited revenue increased by 19.8% year-on-year to RUB 24.6 bn;
- In accordance with the methodology of calculation of like-for-like comparisons, which would be closer to methodologies used in operating and financial reporting of publicly traded food retailers in Russia, like-for-like sales at Detsky Mir stores in Russia grew by 6.1%, with the number of tickets growing by 10.5% and decline in the average ticket price by 4.0%.
- Gross profit increased by 20.5% year-on-year to RUB 8.3 bn, with a gross margin of 33.7%;
- Selling, general and administrative expenses as a share of revenue decreased year-on-year from 22.1% to 21.3% driven by increased operational efficiency;
- Adjusted EBITDA increased by 30.5% to RUB 3.0 bn for 3Q 2017 vs RUB 2.3 bn for 3Q 2016; Adjusted EBITDA margin reached 12.4%. EBITDA amounted to RUB 2.7 bn;
- Adjusted profit for the period rose by more than a half year-on-year to RUB 1.9 bn; Profit for the period amounted to RUB 1.6 bn;
- Net debt /Adjusted EBITDA LTM ratio was 1.4x as of 30 September 2017.
9M 2017 FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Group unaudited revenue increased by 22.9% year-on-year to RUB 66.6 bn;
- In accordance with the methodology of calculation of like-for-like comparisons, which would be closer to methodologies used in operating and financial reporting of publicly traded food retailers in Russia, like-for-like sales at Detsky Mir stores in Russia grew by 7.2%1, with the number of tickets growing by 11.4% and decline in the average ticket price by 3.8%.
- Gross profit increased by 22.0% year-on-year to RUB 22.0 bn, with a gross margin of 33.1%;
- Selling, general and administrative expenses as a share of revenue2 decreased year-on-year from 24.6% to 23.5% driven by increased operational efficiency;
- Adjusted EBITDA3 increased by 35.3% to RUB 6.4 bn for 9M 2017 vs RUB 4.7 bn for 9M 2016; Adjusted EBITDA margin reached 9.6%. EBITDA4 amounted to RUB 5.7 bn;
- Adjusted profit for the period5 rose by more than a half year-on-year to RUB 2.9 bn; Profit for the period amounted to RUB 2.3 bn;
“Due to significant revenue growth and further expansion of the retail chain, Detsky Mir Group has strengthened its position as a leader in the children's goods market.
Despite the difficult social and economic conditions, Detsky Mir continues to attract new customers and consolidate the market, achieving a double-digit like-for-like growth in the number of tickets in the 9 months of 2017. As a result of ramp ups of stores opened a year earlier and the growth of like-for-like sales, the Company's revenue increased by 22.9%.
The fundamental element of the strategy of Detsky Mir Group is still the improvement of operational efficiency and, as a result, an increase in the profitability of the business. Due to a reduction of SG&A expenses as a percentage of revenue by 1.2 percentage points, the Company managed to improve the EBITDA margin by 0.9 percentage points to 9.6%.
The adjusted net profit grew by more than a half year-on-year, including through the optimisation of the debt portfolio.
The Republic of Kazakhstan remains one of the most promising geographic areas for the development of the Group's business. The growth in like-for-like sales in 9M 2017 was 25%. Detsky Mir Group has opened 3 stores in Kazakhstan since the beginning of the year. Thus, the chain is represented by 15 stores in 8 cities of the country. We plan to open at least 5 Detsky Mir stores in Kazakhstan by the end of 2017.”
Conference Call Information
Detsky Mir’s management will host a conference call today at 17:00 (Moscow time) / 14:00 (London time) / 10:00 (New York time) to discuss 3Q & 9M 2017 Unaudited IFRS Financial Results.
The dial-in numbers for the conference call are:
+7 495 221 6523
+44 203 043 24 40
+1 877 887 41 63
PIN: 79 48 90 57#
The conference title: “Detsky Mir Group – 9M 2017 Unaudited IFRS Financial Results”.
For additional information:
Head of Public Relations
Office: +7-495-781-0808, ext. 2041
Head of Investor Relations
Office: +7-495-781-0808 ext. 2315
Detsky Mir Group (MOEX: DSKY) is Russia’s largest specialized children's goods retailer. The company operates a network of 557 stores, including 516 Detsky Mir stores in Russia and 13 in Kazakhstan located in 183 different cities, as well as 41 ELC (Early Learning Centre) stores in Russia. The total selling space as of 30 September 2017 was approximately 631,000 square meters.
In accordance with the audited Financial Statements under IFRS Group revenue amounted to RUB 79.5 bn for the full year 2016. Adjusted EBITDA totaled RUB 8.2 bn and Adjusted profit for the period amounted to RUB 3.8 bn for 2016.
Lear more at www.detmir.ru, corp.detmir.ru, elc-russia.ru.
Some of the information in these materials may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or the future financial performance of Detsky Mir. You can identify forward looking statements by terms such as "expect", "believe", "anticipate", "estimate", "intend", "will", "could," "may" or "might" the negative of such terms or other similar expressions. Detsky Mir wishes to caution you that these statements are only predictions and that actual events or results may differ materially. Detsky Mir does not intend to update these statements to reflect events and circumstances occurring after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Many factors could cause the actual results to differ materially from those contained in projections or forward-looking statements of Detsky Mir, including, among others, general economic conditions, the competitive environment, risks associated with operating in the Russian Federation, rapid technological and market change in the industries Detsky Mir operates in, as well as many other risks specifically related to Detsky Mir and its operations.
(8) PJSC Sistema is a publicly-traded diversified Russian holding company serving over 100 million customers in the sectors of telecommunications, high technology, pulp and paper, radio and space technology, banking, retail, mass media, tourism and healthcare services. Founded in 1993. Sistema’s global depositary receipts are listed under the symbol SSA on the London Stock Exchange. Sistema’s ordinary shares are listed under the ticker AFKS on Moscow Exchange.
(9) RCIF is an equity fund established by the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) and China Investment Corporation (CIC), hold its stake in PJSC Detsky Mir through its funds: FLOETTE HOLDINGS LIMITED and EXARZO HOLDINGS LIMITED.
() Alternative like-for-like average ticket growth, like-for-like number of tickets growth and like-for-like revenue growth based on the stores that have been in operations for at least 12 full calendar months.
() Adjusted EBITDA is calculated as profit for the period before income tax, FX loss, net finance expense, D&A; adjusted for share-based compensation and cash bonuses under the LTI program. See Attachment A.